Application Deadline: Postmarked by June 15, 2014.
Twin Cities Women’s Choir (TCWC) seeks original, unperformed compositions from emerging female composers for SSAA choir – either a cappella or with piano accompaniment – that speak to the theme of Illuminations: A journey that may include embracing the darkness along with celebrating the return of light. The composer of the winning piece will receive a cash prize of $1000, an archival recording of the premiere performance in November, 2014, in Minneapolis, MN, and a possible commercial recording on a future TCWC CD.
The Twin Cities Women’s Choir is pleased to announce a choral competition for an emerging female composer in continuation of our mission to affirm the voices of women. Emerging female composers are eligible and encouraged to submit their works for consideration. “Emerging” is defined as someone who is not well known as a choral composer on the national level. The composition should be suitable for our annual Illuminations Concerts, which reflect upon darkness and the return of light to our lives—literally and metaphorically.
Postmark deadline: June 15, 2014
$1000; live premiere with 3 performances of the work in November and December, 2014, in Minneapolis, MN; archival recording; and may be featured on a TCWC CD.
- Applicants must be an emerging (someone who is not well known on the national level) female composer.
- All submissions must be an original composition for SSAA choir, a cappella or with piano accompaniment. Occasional division of the SSAA parts is acceptable.
- If text is not original, proof of public domain or author’s/publisher’s written permission for use of text is required.
- Text may be secular or one that could be welcomed in many faith traditions. Should be suitable for our annual Illuminations Concerts.
- Performance time of the work should be approximately 3 minutes in length.
- All submissions must not have been commissioned or previously performed.
- Do not send original manuscripts. Please submit digitally or 5 clearly legible copies of the score, on 8x11 paper, unbound. Illegible copies will not be considered.
- Scores will be returned if a stamped (with adequate postage), self-addressed envelope is included with your submission.
- Scores submitted without a complete application packet will not be considered.
- The U.S. postmark deadline for entry is June 15, 2014.
- The winner will be announced no later than September 1, 2014.
- The TCWC reserves the right to not award a prize.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Digital submission is preferred. Email files to: email@example.com
- If sending paper submission, send packet to: Pat Teiken, Executive Director, Twin Cities Women’s Choir, 1672 Mackubin Street, St. Paul, MN 55117.
- Contact Carol Rue at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
- Composer’s name, phone number and mailing address.
- Composer’s email address (all communications, including announcement of winner, will be via email).
- 1 legible copy of the score for digital submission; 5 legible copies of the score for paper submissions.
- Proof of permission to use the text, if not original text or proof in the public domain.
- Biography of composer.
- A self addressed-stamped envelope if you want paper scores returned.
Optional, but encouraged:
- List of composer’s previous choral works and performances
- Digital recording of the composition, i.e. midi, piano performance of score, etc.
We're excited to announce that we raised $5065 on Give to the Max Day!
With our board match, that's $10,065 we have to put towards expanding the library of choral music for women's voices through our commissioning program, and towards ensuring that any woman who wants to sing with us can do so regardless of financial means.
We can't thank you enough – our community of singers, staff, volunteers, friends, family, and fans – for your generous support.
Congratulations to Susanna Payne-Passmore of Havertown, PA on winning the 2013 Mary Bussman Emerging Female Composer Choral Competition with her song, Shine. The world premiere of Shine will be at our annual Illuminations concerts on Saturday, December 7, 2013.
Our 2013 Divas and Desserts concerts May 10th and 11th with Silent Auction and for the first time a Live Auction were a great success. We'd like to thank everyone who attended and supported TCWC with your generous donations and bids. Remember the evening with this short slide show of snapshot memories.