Twin Cities Women’s Choir (TCWC) seeks original, unperformed compositions from emerging female composers for SSAA choir – either a cappella or with piano accompaniment – that speak to the theme of Illuminations: A journey that may include embracing the darkness along with celebrating the return of light. The composer of the winning piece will receive a cash prize of $1000, an archival recording of the premiere performance in November, 2015, in Minneapolis, MN, and a possible future TCWC commercial recording. Application Deadline: June 15, 2015 (6/15/2015).
The Twin Cities Women’s Choir is pleased to announce a choral competition for an emerging female composer in continuation of our mission to affirm the voices of women. Emerging female composers are eligible and encouraged to submit their works for consideration. "Emerging" is defined as someone who is not well known as a choral composer on the national level. The composition should be suitable for our annual Illuminations Concerts, which reflect upon darkness and the return of light to our lives—literally and metaphorically.
Online submission deadline: June 15, 2015 (6/15/2015).
$1000; live premiere with 3 performances of the work in November and December, 2015, in Minneapolis, MN; archival recording; and may be featured on a TCWC recording.
- Applicants must be an emerging (someone who is not well known on the national level) female composer
- All submissions must be an original composition for SSAA choir, a cappella or with piano accompaniment. Occasional division of the SSAA parts is acceptable.
- If text is not original, proof of public domain or author’s/publisher’s written permission for use of text is required.
- Text may be secular or one that could be welcomed in many faith traditions. Should be suitable for our annual Illuminations Concerts.
- Performance time of the work should be approximately 3 minutes in length.
- All submissions must not have been commissioned or previously performed.
- Online submission of the score and application packet is required. If your score is hand written and scanned in, it must be clearly legible. Illegible copies will not be considered.
- Email files to: email@example.com
- Scores submitted without a complete application packet will not be considered.
- The deadline for electronic entry is June 15, 2015.
- The winner will be announced no later than September 1, 2015.
- The TCWC reserves the right to not award a prize.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Contact Carol Rue at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Composer’s name, phone number and mailing address
- Composer’s email address (all communications, including announcement of winner, will be via email)
- 1 legible copy of the score
- Proof of permission to use the text, if not original text or proof in the public domain.
- Biography of composer
- Optional, but encouraged:
- List of composer’s previous choral works and performances
- Digital recording of the composition, i.e. midi, piano performance of score, etc. A recording is strongly encouraged as the judges appreciate hearing the composer’s interpretation of the composition.