Mission: The Twin Cities Women’s Choir is a diverse community that sings, performs, and affirms the voices of women.
Vision: We strengthen and inspire individuals and communities through song.
TCWC holds these Core Values jointly with the Twin Cities Girls' Choir:
- The Twin Cities Women's Choir is a performing, non-auditioned women’s choir that strives for musical excellence.
- The Twin Cities Girls' Choir is a performing girls choir that fosters personal development and musical growth.
- We are an inclusive, affirming, ethical and fun community.
- We expand the library of women’s choral music by commissioning pieces and supporting women composers.
- We foster community through collaboration both within and outside our organization.
- We strive to ignite and nurture a lifelong love of music.
TCWC began with 16 women having a conversation at a local restaurant in August 1997. By the end of the meeting, we had a volunteer director, a volunteer accompanist, 14 singers and $200 to purchase music. Our dream was to have 100 diverse choir members, sing challenging music while producing a unified sound, develop a solid audience base, obtain and maintain financial stability, perform two major concerts each season, commission music for women’s choirs, develop community connections through outreach concerts, and to do all of this while having fun.
32 singers performed in our debut concert on May 31, 1998, at Lyndale Congregational Church, which was attended by 250 audience members. In 1998, we formed a Board of Directors and obtained 501(c)(3) status. From our modest beginnings, TCWC has grown to over 150 diverse members, developed a unique sound through its first 15 years under the stellar direction of Mary Bussman, Artistic Director Emerita, and skilled accompanist, Rosie Romportl.
Since then, under Artistic Director Janice Hunton and Assistant Artistic Director Randi Rexroth (and still with Rosie's fabulous talents), we’ve achieved a new level of musical excellence. Our audiences have more than tripled in our 20-year history. We’ve commissioned over 35 compositions and arrangements for women’s voices, and sponsor a composition contest for emerging female composers. We maintain a concert schedule including three major concerts, as well as the honor and thrill of performing at many community events. We’ve presented concert collaborations with 17 different performing groups. We’ve recorded five CDs and have established the acapella performance ensemble, ENCORE! We have been able to realize the dreams of the founding mothers and move beyond their initial vision through the wholehearted dedication of volunteers and staff.
We connect with a unique audience who values the voices of women as leaders, performers, thinkers, artists, and heroes. Our season runs from September through May and includes three major concerts and a variety of community outreach activities. Some outreach performances include:
- Orchestra Hall: Ann Bancroft Foundation Awards
- Guthrie Theater: singing prior to A Christmas Carol
- The Fitzgerald Theater: Ann Reed’s Heroes Event
- Minneapolis Convention Center: Annual Women Venture Conference
- National anthem performances for Gopher’s Women’s Basketball, Minnesota Lynx, Minnesota Twins, Minnesota United FC
We receive some operating funds through grants, but we rely primarily on contributions from the choir and our audiences for support. While we are committed to being self-supporting, no one is turned away. We fully honor and recognize all contributions, including money and time.
See our FY15 IRS Form 990.